|Nokia Themes on the Series 60 Platform FAQ
What is the Series 60 Platform?
The Series 60 Platform is the software platform that runs Series 60 devices, which are also called smartphones. The Series 60 Platform consists of a user interface for interacting with the device's data and software, and programs (Series 60 applications) that provide advanced phone functions such as messaging and the calendar. The Series 60 Platform runs on top of the open Symbian OS operating system. In addition to existing applications, users can also install additional applications.
What can I do with a Series 60 Platform device?
First, it is a mobile phone with all the features that you would find in a regular GSM, WCDMA or CDMA phone. Second, and most importantly, it is a device with software applications that allow you to manage your personal information, install and use new software applications or content, and create personal content, such as photos.
What devices use the Series 60 Platform?
Nokia N-Gage QD
How do Series 60 Platform devices compare with other phones?
Series 60 Platform smartphones are highly advanced phones that enable users to download software applications, browse the mobile Internet in color, and manage communications such as text messaging, multimedia messaging and voice calls. Other phones may have some of these features, but not the full range that Series 60 devices offer. Also, a Series 60 Platform phone offers a larger screen for better information display, a richer mode of interaction via an easy to use interface, multi-tasking for using more than one program at a time, access to more on-phone storage space and more capable software programs.
What does the Series 60 Platform include in general?
Intuitive User Interface
* High quality, large high-resolution color screens
* One-hand operation support - two soft keys and 5-way navigation system
* Rich UI personalization via Themes
* Extensively tested user interface: users will be able to easily accomplish their tasks without manuals - including advanced features such as easy switching between open applications and copy-paste of information between applications
* Short Messaging Service (SMS)
* Email, with support for multiple mailboxes (e.g. personal and corporate)
* Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS)
* Instant Messaging
Java and Symbian OS applications
* Download, install and run 3rd party add-on applications. Already thousands of applications available.
* Java Mobile APIs
* XHTML/HTML/WAP Multimode Browser
* Java Script
* Content download
* Digital Rights Management
* RealOne Player
* Camera/Camcoder application
* Media Gallery
* Make and receive calls
* Video Telephony support (for WCDMA)
* Easy to use call log
Personal Information Management
* To-do list
* Synchronization of contacts and calendar
* MultiMediaCard (MMC) support
How does the Series 60 Platform benefit corporate users and consumers?
For consumers Series 60 Platform offers exciting and efficient applications and services that are easy to use and provide more fun, e.g.:
* Intuitive and easy user interface. User can change menus, folders and create short cuts to applications and content
* Extendable and compatible with thousands of add-on applications and content
* Easy access to Internet, entertainment, email and PC data
* Personalize with themes, wallpapers, screensavers, bookmarks, ringing tones and more
* Rich application suite for voice, messaging, business productivity, imaging, music and multimedia
For corporates, the Series 60 Platform provides productivity increase through features such as:
Built-in email, calendar, messaging and browsing
* Business and personal e-mail accounts in the same device
* Local and Over-the-Air synchronization of calendar and contacts with popular PC applications
Security & Terminal management
* Application installation control
* Third party VPN and Anti-Virus software available
Interfaces that an enterprise developer needs
* APIs for networking, messaging and email
* Efficient and flexible file system for storing local data in the device
How do I personalize my phone?
There are many ways to personalize your Series 60 phone. For example, you can add a background image to the main screen, change ringtones, set up messaging groups, have specific ringtones for calling groups or individuals, add photos to contacts so that they show up when receiving a call, download new content and software, change the UI theme and rearrange and rename many of the icons in the main menu.
Where do I find software and content, such as images and ringtones? How do I put software on my phone?
A Series 60 Platform phone allows you to add content to it through many different routes. You can download content with your browser, have it sent via MMS, or transfer it from you PC via InfraRed or Bluetooth connections. There are many places you can find content, such as your operator portal, and on the Web.
What are Series 60 Platform Editions?
Series 60 Platform release versions are named as Editions. Editions include all the main features of the release. The latest Series 60 release is Series 60 Platform 3rd Edition. Series 60 Platform 3rd Edition includes all the main features of the Series 60 Platform 2nd Edition plus some new features.
What are Feature Packs? Feature Packs include features that are additional to Edition. Feature Packs may also include device specific features. For example, Series 60 2nd Edition, Feature Pack 2 introduces WCDMA technology into Series 60 devices.
Can I upgrade the Series 60 device firmware?
The upgrade process is vendor specific. Generally it's not possible upgrade from one edition to another, for example from 2nd Edition to 3rd Edition.
How does the Series 60 Platform aid interoperability between terminals?
The Series 60 Platform embraces the philosophy of openness. Built on the Symbian OS, put together by multiple mobility expert companies, and then licensed as source code to several eminent mobile phone manufacturers, the Series 60 Platform also implements open specifications for service enablers developed by the Open Mobile Alliance (OMA).
Mobile devices from different manufacturers that implement interoperable OMA enabler releases (sets of specifications) and that have undergone OMA interoperability testing, help mobile services to work across different platforms, networks and geographies. The latest version of the Series 60 Platform implements OMA Digital Rights Management, OMA Instant Messaging and Presence Services, OMA Download, OMA Client Provisioning, OMA User Agent Profile, OMA Multimedia Messaging and OMA Data Synchronization.
How security issues will be taken care of?
The new security framework in the Series 60 Platform 3rd Edition includes features such as Data Caging and Trusted Capabilities. These features mean that applications with sophisticated access to the phone will need to be certified, for example, under Symbian Signed. Uncertified applications will be subject to safer operations, with a limited set of higher-level functions allowed and which are under the user's control.
|Series 60 Theme Studio
Series 60 Theme Studio for Symbian OS enables to the creation of custom Themes that can alter the appearance of all the Series 60 UI components. With the tool Themes can be created, edited, and viewed with full Series 60 UI emulation to allow the appearance of wallpaper, application icons, color schemes, and any other UI component to be evaluated. Once a Theme has been created, the Series 60 Theme Studio will package it into a Symbian OS Installation File and prepared it for Open Mobile Alliance (OMA) Digital Rights Management (DRM) protection, if required, ready for deployment to devices.
Series 60 Theme Studio 1.2
Series 60 Theme Studio 1.2 for Symbian OS is a PC tool for creating themes for Series 60 Developer Platform 2nd Edition mobile devices such as the Nokia 3230, Nokia 6600, Nokia 6260, Nokia 6630, Nokia 6670, Nokia 6680 and Nokia 7610 mobile phones.
Series 60 Theme Studio 2.0
Series 60 Theme Studio 2.0 for Symbian OS is a PC tool for creating themes for Series 60 Developer Platform 2nd Edition, Feature Pack 3 mobile devices such as the Nokia N70 and Nokia N90 mobile phones.
* Support for scaleable skin.|
* Support for SVG based vector graphics.
* Support for layering images.
* Support for image effects palette.
* More extensive colour definition support.
Theme Creation Visual Guide
We ask that you please bookmark us and use us as a resource for all the info you need regarding your Nokia Themes!